Would a 25% discount help?
The Rate Assistance Program (RAP) provides a 25% discount off the electric portion of the Municipal Utilities bill to qualified Santa Clara residents. Residents can qualify for the RAP discount by meeting either the financial or medical criteria below. See Financial Criteria.
- Apply for Financial RAP
- Medical Criteria
- Apply for Medical RAP
- California Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
When you apply for Financial RAP, qualifying customers will also receive a:
- $3.00 discount on garbage collection charges
- To qualify, homes cannot share garbage service with another home (e.g. multi-family complex shared dumpsters).
- Customers who were previously receiving the rate assistance discount on their garbage rate and not enrolled in Financial RAP must submit an application and provide income verification.
- 25% discount on water/sewer bills
- Water discount is for the first 12 hundred cubic feet (HCF) of usage
- Sewer bills will be discounted 25% of the flat residential rate
For households affected financially by COVID-19, a temporary relief program is available that provides a 25% discount on the electric portion of your utility bill. Water/sewer and solid waste bills are not included in this program. View qualifications and application.
Financial CriteriaSanta Clara residents whose combined gross household income is within the limits set forth in the table below qualify for the Rate Assistance Program. Proof of income is required. Effective January 1st, 2014, the 25% discount will only apply to the first 800 kilowatt hours (kWh) of monthly energy use. This change is only for the Financial Rate Assistance Program.
|# of People in Household||Maximum Monthly Income Before Taxes||Maximum Annual Income Before Taxes|
| * These levels are effective as of April 3, 2020
For households with more than eight members, please email us at email@example.com.
To apply for the Financial RAP discount:Apply online or submit the application to:
Silicon Valley Power
P.O. Box 162
Santa Clara, CA 95052; or
- Financial Rate Assistance Program Application (English)
- Financial Rate Assistance Program Application (Spanish)
- *New* Apply online for Financial Rate Assistance Program
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-244-SAVE (7283).
Residents who have a medical condition and/or are disabled must provide a physician's certification documenting the patient's medical needs and requirements for an electric device for treatment. Paraplegic, hemiplegic, or quadriplegic people qualify. Similarly, a scleroderma patient with special heating or cooling needs qualifies, as do residents who depend on life support.
To apply for the Medical RAP discount:Please submit the application to:
City of Santa Clara
Municipal Services Division
1500 Warburton Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050; or
Download all Medical Rate Assistance files in one PDF:
Download individual Medical Rate Assistance files:
- Medical Rate Assistance Information Sheet
- Medical Rate Assistance Program Application
- Doctor's Certification
The discount will not apply toward any taxes, surcharges, or other non-electric utility charges that appear on the bill. Applicants who meet both the financial and medical eligibility criteria can only receive a twenty-five percent discount.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 408-615-2300.
California Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
For an application, or more information, please call HEAP at 1-877-278-6455 and leave a message with your mailing address, or drop by the City of Santa Clara Municipal Services office. More information on HEAP.
Previous recipients of the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program are encouraged to reapply if they still qualify.